Updates are a huge part of Windows Operating Systems. Without proper updates, the system starts to malfunction, and at times can cause serious issues. Windows updates are easy to complete, but at times, it too has problems which make things complicated. One such common and similar issue is the Windows update error 0x80070057 message that stops users from completing the system update.
So, how to deal with these weird and recurring issues with Windows system error? If you too are facing this problem, this article should help you resolve the issue. Let’s move ahead and take a detailed look at the necessary information.
What Is Windows Update Error 0x80070057?
Update related problems are kind of one of the most common issues related to known Windows errors. The error code 0x80070057 has somehow become a trending query among Windows 10 users. Users also report the fact all other updates are successfully completed except the system update. Furthermore, the error code has been in the news since at least the days of Windows XP.
This error code is often accompanied with alert messages like “Unknown error,” “Unspecified parameters encountered,” or “Required services are not running”. As per research and market surveys, it seems like the problem can have a lot of different reasons. Fixing the issue shouldn’t be too much difficult if you follow the steps properly.
The root of the Windows update error 0x80070057 can also be bugs or glitches from the previous system update. Such occurrences are not uncommon, updates are known to contain bugs at times. So, if the error 0x80070057 is constantly creating problems, keep reading to get the fixes.
How To Fix Windows Update Error 0x80070057?
Update related problems can get triggered for a number of reasons. All of which need different solutions to be fixed. Here in this section, we will take a look at some easy ways by which you can resolve the Windows Update 0x80070057 error code.
Resolve Using Software Distribution Folder
Working with the Software Distribution folder should help you to solve the problem. If you are not tech-savvy and feeling confused hearing the term “Software Distribution Folder”, do not worry. Simply follow the steps and you’ll be done in no time.
- Click on Start and type in “Run” in the search box and then hit enter. Alternatively, you can call up the Run function dialogue box by simply pressing the keyboard shortcut. Press the Windows and R keys simultaneously.
- In the Run function box, type in the command “%systemroot%” and press enter.
- Now, scroll through the left panel to look for Software Distribution folder.
- When found, right-click on and rename the folder to “SoftwareDistribution.old”.
- The system can ask you for Administrator permissions to complete the process. Simply click the Continue button.
- Then, again click on the Start button and search for Services.
- Open the tool and scroll through to look for Windows Service. Check the Status column; see whether the feature is turned on or not. Enable it if not activated.
- Then, close the Windows Services window and reboot your computer.
This should help in removing the problem give you back total control over your PC. After rebooting, run the Windows Update process and see if the problem persists or not.
Alternative Fix: Resolve Using System Restore
Windows System Restore is also another method that you can choose to deal with Windows update error 0x80070057. This tool helps you to revert back to a working and error-free version of Windows. Using System Restore, you can switch back to a time where Windows and all related update processes were working without any hiccups. Follow the below steps to perform a Windows System Restore.
- Access the Start menu and click on All Programs.
- After that, select Accessories and then choose System Tools.
- Here, click on System Restore Program and then tap the Next button.
- Now, select a previously saved Restore Point and let the system complete the process on its own.
When done, try process the same Windows update and check whether the problem. It should fix the problem and let you complete the update without any further hurdles.
Still Facing Error code 0x80070057?
If the above two solutions did not help you can try diagnosing a few more aspects of your system.
- Check For Internet Connection Errors: Problems with data services can interrupt update processes and lead to time-out.
- Storage Issues: The problem can also come up due to lack of available space on your HDD. If so, make some space in the system partition and retry the process.
- Virus Infections: Run a full system scan and check whether any malicious file or program is interfering with the process.
So, these were some of the reasons why you can encounter the Windows error code 0x80070057. If you are somehow not able to resolve using the mentioned solutions or are unable to implement the steps, do not worry.
We, here at Oniton Support, have teams of experienced tech support professionals to help you out. Connect with us via phone or email us about the problem, we’ll surely help you out.