Skype is one of the best and useful applications for connecting with others. With Skype, you can easily make audio and video calls to any Skype user. The best part is it is available for free. You just need to create an account and you can easily make calls with Skype. The best things always come with some disadvantages and so does Skype. One such issue that appears on the application is Skype problem with recording device. In this article, we are going to discuss some of the procedures to solve this particular Skype problem. But, before that let us see what are the causes of this problem.
What Causes Skype Recording Problem?
There can be multiple reasons for the Skype error 2060. In case the configuration is incorrect might cause this problem. If you have recently updated the Skype it might have separated itself from the hardware settings. Another reason might be that the headsets are defective due to which you encounter this problem. Prior to starting the troubleshooting methods, you should check that the microphone should be working fine. If you want to check that, then open the Run window by pressing Windows + R key. Then, type “mmsys.cpl” and then press Enter. In the Next step, you have to open the Sound and Audio window.
How to Fix Skype Problem with Recording Device
In this section, we are going to discuss the effective methods to fix the problems with the recording device.
Disable Exclusive Control for Mic
The error Problem with recording device appears after the Windows update. A change in the settings might be causing the error. The main reason for the error is the Sound Priority Setting “Exclusive Control”, which might get overridden due to some Windows update. Follow the instructions given below to set the Default Settings.
- Press the Windows key and R together to open the Run window. Here, type “mmsys.cpl” and press Enter key. Then, open the Sound Settings.
- Choose the Recording tab and select the Microphone which you want to use and thereafter select Properties.
- Go to the Advanced tab and unmark the box with the option “Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device”. Next, apply the changes and confirm it.
- Open Skype and select Tools, then Options.
- Open the Audio Settings and then a drop-down menu next to Microphone will appear. Then, select the “Exclusive Control” option that was disabled earlier.
- Now, check if the modifications have solved the problem. You can check that by clicking on “Make a free test call”.
Try recording on Skype and see if the problem persists.
Updating Sound Card
If the above solution has not helped you, then the probable cause of the problem might be the sound drivers. If you are facing this skype problem on a laptop device, check that you have the audio drivers installed and is up to date. If your microphone is working fine then, reinstalling the correct audio drivers will fix the Skype problem with recording device.
Follow the step given below to update the drivers:
- Open the Run window by pressing Windows + R. Type “devmgmt.msc” and open Device Manager.
- In the Device Manager, go to Audio inputs and outputs and identify the microphone that is causing the problem. Right-click on it and select the option Update Driver. Next, you have to select the option “Search automatically for updated driver software” from the list.
- Next, restart computer and see if you are still facing the same problem on Skype. If you are not then, you have successfully resolved the problem. However, if you still face the Skype recording device error you can reinstall the drivers again.
Reinstall the Audio Drivers
Firstly, go to the Device Manager and select “Sound, video and game controllers”. Identify the audio drivers and then right-click on the driver option. Next, select Uninstall option. Mark the checkbox “Delete the driver software for this device” and click on the uninstall option. Now, you have to install the audio drivers by manually downloading from the manufacturer’s website. Only install the drivers after checking the correct configuration for your device. Lastly, restart the computer and open Skype to see if the problem persists.